Monday, April 5, 2021

Return to Stuart and Sunset Bay Marina March 10-12, 2021

 Wednesday, March 10, 2021. Day 94.

We awakened to a beautiful morning “on the hook” (anchored). We were on the eastern branch of the St. Lucie River, very close to Stuart and Sunset Bay Marina, where we are going to spend the next few days.

I took the morning to stretch and complete a heavy duty work out on the back deck, and made breakfast. The wind was picking up and Captain Roland really dislikes docking when the wind is heavy; but this seems to be our fate. It requires much more skill when there is current and /or wind influencing the boat's direction.

Bringing up the anchor was a major ordeal; it was really dug in and there was mud everywhere. It took Roland a long time to wash off the anchor while I was at the helm steering the boat towards Sunset Bay Marina, following the captain's directions to a T.

The heavy wind made docking, challenging and, being human, Captain Roland pressed the wrong thruster and we hit a piling. Fortunately, the rubber stripping on the piling (that's why it was there), softened the blow and there was no serious damage.

We hoped that the winds die down so that we can leave on Friday, as planned, but if not, we will leave on Saturday. It will not be the first time that we’ve had weather delays and change of plans based on the weather. Meanwhile, I took advantage of being at a dock, taking walks, running, maybe going to an outdoor restaurant if we can find a non-crowded one, and then there’s always the paperwork, bills and enjoying the view and the pleasant temperatures.

We had to go to the supermarket, do laundry, wash the boat, repair the dinghy, and various other tasks of daily living. We were hoping that guru Scott will be able to come by and help Roland with the new software that still was not working on the main screen.


We planned to go around 4 o’clock, to a simple fish restaurant that we believed had a lot of outside space, but on our way we passed Casa Bella which was so cute. The tables were all decked out and arranged and no one was around. They didn’t open until five. We asked if they had room for two when they opened at five and they said they did so we waited around. Good decision! We had one of the best meals that we’ve had on this trip (Parts of Paris, in Safety Harbor, was excellent), and Casa Bella was comfortable and friendly, as well as delicious). The restaurant was a very short distance from the marina, and we took home half the meal for leftovers. It was a wonderful evening.




Thursday, March 11, 2021. Day 95.

I was up early, the temperatures were moderate (mid 70s ). Even Philadelphia reached into the 70's that day. Here in “paradise,” it was sunny but very windy, so as anticipated, we would have to stay another day at the marina until the winds slow down.

I spent a great deal of time trying to get a haircut. I called several people who were recommended either by Joe at home, and/or from the KK owners who live aboard at the marina. We tried mightily but nothing worked. I will just have to live with my hair way too long (and unfortunately stuffed under a hat), until I can go back and be saved by Gabby.

Roland made poached eggs in his new silicone egg poaching cups (yet another galley gadget), and to my surprise, they worked! Roland keeps reminding me of my skepticism (I laughed when I saw them), and now, poached eggs has become my breakfast of choice (there’s very little cleanup as well -bonus!).

Roland got his other packages, including his new phone (thank goodness-living with only my phone was a little challenging which seems curious as two decades ago we didn’t have any cell phones).

His delivery also included mood lights for the salon, so we could have romantic dinners. The mood lighting even comes with a remote unit to dim or brighten the lights. I must say this was beyond my wildest imagination. I am afraid that I lean heavily to the practical....less on the imagination.

We spent happy hour at the end of dock C with other KK owners, had the Casa Bella dinner leftovers (still delish), and then found out when I went to take a shower before bed, that for 3 1/2 months, I had been misusing the shower sump pump. My hope is that I did not burn it out, but I probably had shortened its life. Hopefully it will still be working well for the entire time I own Magic Moments.




Friday, March 12, 2021. Day 96.


Another beautiful day at Sunset Bay. I finished the housework (laundry, making the bed, doing the dishes, paying the bills, etc), and to our pleasant surprise, guru Scott came to help with the new software. Of course, timing is everything, and five minutes before Scott showed up, the computer crashed, totally. Captain Roland, you can imagine, was extremely frustrated and there was not much anyone could do. The hope was that when the computer was operating again, Scott will be able to guide Roland, by phone, through the software reset.

Roland went back to washing the boat, and I made fudge (yum!).


We borrowed the marina's bicycles, and going the back way (limiting the distance on US 1,which is very unpleasant), rode to the supermarket a couple of times. We were expected to be at anchor for two weeks and needed to stock up on food and treats, and carrying groceries on foot or bike really limited our purchases. A benefit: Roland didn't spend much time in the store each visit, (My job was to stay with the bikes, outside the store, and carry as much as possible). Masked and short stays inside, was our obligation to fight covid spread.



During our stay in Sunset Bay marina, we watched admiringly, a family whose boat was on a mooring, row back and forth several times to the marina's dinghy dock, to buy groceries and run other errands. Rowing quite a distance, their dinghy sans motor, a family that often included several members: father, mother, a teenage daughter, and 2-3 younger children, was remarkable. Often the teenager was rowing. We assumed that they were not Americans, maybe they were Scandinavians. I was sorry that we weren't on the dock at the same time; I wanted to meet them and chat. I was really impressed.


Saturday, March 13, 2021. Day 97, and Gail‘s birthday.


We were up early but I controlled myself to not call my sister, until a bit later, and sing happy birthday to her (a family tradition), at 6:30 am. I’m sure she was grateful for the delay.

Roland made one more trip to the supermarket and we prepped Magic Moments for our departure to Peck Lake, off Jupiter Island.

With the boat prepped, we left the dock, fueled and pumped out at the fuel pump, and then started our journey around 11am, on our way to Peck Lake.


No comments:

Post a Comment

test - on the way to the bahamas

 This is a test blog, to see if the blog posts still send out notifications to our friends who follows us..